Our Next Course – Hereford September 2019
General Course Information
The course is aimed principally at building professionals in the UK and prepares delegates for taking the Certified European Passivhaus Designer qualification. It introduces the principles behind the Passivhaus standard and methodologies and the use of the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) for achieving low energy performance, with teaching firmly based on UK building examples. The AECB CarbonLite Programme is designed to prepare delegates not only for the exam but for future involvement in very low energy building projects.
Our course is aimed at architects, builders, building engineers and others who want to learn how to design and deliver real low-energy buildings.
To successfully complete the full course and exam, you will need to have some knowledge of UK construction systems, an ability to read building plans and an understanding of algebra.
Why Choose the AECB CarbonLite Passivhaus Designer Course?
- Guiding you – friendly trainers and small groups encourage a great learning experience
- Understand and apply key principles – designed to give you skills and knowledge to integrate into your working life from day 1.
- Prepare you for the exam – dedicated revision day, our own practice exam paper, 30 pages of worked examples to take away
- Interesting and exciting – we visit real Passivhaus projects
- Sociable – we encourage delegates to support each other and organise meals out for networking
- If you don’t pass first time – we offer a free session to review your exam paper
- UK focused – 100% rewritten, rather than using the more generic European CEPH material taught by others
- UK examples – from the UK domestic and non-domestic sector
- Up to date – we continually update our material and teach V9 PHPP
- Modular – sit our course in one go, or as separate modules to suit your availability and finances
- Exercises – lots of exercises used to continually affirm and test understanding
- Online – we have included the introduction to thermal bridges as a complementary course.
Biographies on the Meet the Trainers page.
- UK experts – our trainers are the experts who are actually successfully designing/ building Passivhaus buildings in the UK
- Highly experienced trainers – amongst others, Bill Butcher, Eric Parks, Mark Siddall, Alan Clarke, Sally Godber, Will South and Nick Grant. Not to mention Peter Warm and the rest of the WARM staff who have supported over 200 buildings in low energy design, and are Passivhaus certifiers.
- Variety of experience – our collective experience includes non-domestic building, large residential schemes and real Passivhaus construction experience
- London – TBC.
- Hereford – Hereford Archive and Records Centre, HARC – Certified Passivhaus Building.
- Plymouth – Ocean Studios at The Royal William Yard
- Bespoke Courses – we regularly run bespoke courses for companies who need specialist training. Please get in touch if this is of interest to you.
2019 Training Dates
Monday – Fundamentals
Tuesday – Science Day 1 including site visit
Wednesday – Science Day 2
Thursday – Construction
Friday – No session
Monday – Building Services Day 1 including site visit
Tuesday – Building Services Day 2
Wednesday – Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) Day 1
Thursday – Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) Day 2
Friday – Revision day
Additional: Online Therm course
£2500 + VAT for AECB/Passivhaus Trust members
£2800 + VAT for non-members
Early Bird Discount
There is an additional £400 Early Bird Discount for AECB/PHT members booking at least 6 weeks in advance. Secure your place with a 10% deposit.
You can join the AECB from £50 + VAT for individuals.
Joining information and company rates can be found on the AECB website.
One-day module: £350 + VAT for AECB/Passivhaus Trust members (£400 + VAT for non-members)
Two-day module: £700 + VAT for AECB/Passivhaus Trust members (£800 + VAT for non-members)
PHPP 9 Software
The PHPP 9 software costs from £135 + VAT. You will need to purchase it directly from the AECB.
An online course which sits alongside the Passivhaus Designer training. Although not part of the PHI exam, we recommend taking it as a complementary course, so we also include the online THERM course in the course fees for delegates booking the full Passivhaus Designer course. Online THERM includes one year’s access to the Moodle course and a nominal 2 hours support by email. The THERM software is free.
You can also book THERM separately as a standalone course for £200 + VAT