A unique 2-day course looking at the practical side of low energy buildings. Ideal for site managers, builders and clients involved in any level of construction. The course centres on core Passivhaus (fabric-first) building strategies that are suitable for both new build and renovation projects, and is taught through a mix of theory and hands–on practical sessions.
This is one of the only courses in the UK that covers all the essential aspects of low-energy construction, including what it means practically when implemented on site. Our training provides knowledge & expertise in key aspects of fabric-first construction for both new build and retrofit.
You can take the first 2 days as a stand-alone module, or if you would like to gain accreditation, you can go on to complete the revision session and exam.
The course covers the following areas:
- Energy standards and Passivhaus principles
- Fundamental aspects for achieving Passivhaus, including insulation, high-performance glazing, airtightness, thermal bridging and ventilation
- How to ensure quality is delivered on site
Hands-on sessions are site specific and will typically include the following:
- Insulation – looking at insulation types, installing insulation (wood fibre) to avoid thermal bypass
- Airtightness – installing membranes to different substrates with a variety of tapes & adhesives
- Blower door test – understanding what to look for when a building is tested
- Practical calculations & exercises on airtightness and thermal bridging
Certified Passivhaus Tradesperson Revision Session and Exam
Length: 0.5 days (revision) + 0.5 days (exam), on the same day
This optional session builds on the contractor training to prepare you for taking the Certified Passivhaus Tradesperson Exam and gaining this internationally-recognised qualification. Those who qualify can use the Passivhaus Tradesperson logo and will be registered on the global database for the next 5 years.
Please note: completing this course does not qualify participants for Certified European Passivhaus (CEPH) Designer status. If you wish to become a CEPH Designer, please take our Passivhaus Designer Course.
||Introduction to Passivhaus
Insulation practical 1
||Fan test practical
|Insulation practical 2
Thermal bridging theory
Building services theory